Tuesday, August 9, 2011

School Law 101



School law is complex! The education world is complex! I just spent the past two days at the NC Bar Association where they held their annual LIFT Institution. LIFT stands for Law Institute for Teachers. NC lawyers present 7 different sessions on all aspects of education law. These lawyers specialize in education law and represent teachers as well as school boards.

My review of this workshop is utter shock! I walked away with a head filled of knowledge pertaining to education and law, but the shock came from the fact that I am a six year teacher and I didn't know a 1/3 of what was said. This institute opened my eyes to so many different aspects of education and how the law plays within the parameters of me being an effective teacher.

Times are changing and with all the new age technology the law is evolving to include cyberspeech and cyberbullying. I was amazed to see how the 1st amendment played within cases in which students made comments about other students or staff via the internet.

This is just a tiny scratch on the surface of what I learned. I would totally suggest all educators attend this institute as there are so many new cases that have changed the law. They hold this instituet each year and it was amazing! The website also has great resources for teachers in fifth grade, middle school and highschool!

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous! I have thought many times in my past few years of teaching I wish I was offered my education law classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling. I was so excited to attend this class since there are so many things we are liable for. Also things have changed so much with all the technology! Contact your state bar association they may be interested in the idea of starting a workshop.

    ReplyDelete