Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Daily 5

When did you decide to love reading? When did you decide to hate reading? I love to read, my husband hates to read! Now think about yourself as a teacher and think about the kids in your room and how many actual books do your students read? These ideas go hand in hand. Students need to read book, actual books not passages or stories on a sheet of paper, BOOKS! Man has the pendulum swung way far to the right and now we are moving it back to the middle.

We all know that the best instruction is done in small groups. We all know that the students learn best with hands on instruction that allows them to think deeply and apply what they have learned. Well Daily 5 is a system in which students are doing just that. They are reading actual books on their level and apply skills they learn in small groups. They are also making connections with words and writing which help build that foundation of reading. Here are some things that I have in my room to support the structure of Daily 5. Most of these ideas were found online and will give credit where credit is due!


This is my word collector where we add interesting words we find in our read alouds. All students have a small one in their notebooks to write down any words they find on their own.

This is my CAFE board that I use to teach my mini lessons. This partners with Daily 5 as this is the "what do I teach part" and the Daily 5 is the "what do the kids do" part. The students use the strategies listed on the board for their personal goals.

These are my book boxes for my students. This is essential as students need books that fit them. Their boxes house books they are reading and using to practice the skills. You can use anything, but these boxes cost me around 60 dollars from Steps to Literacy.

Now this is just a few pieces of what makes up Daily 5 and CAFE! I will take more pictures and post more about the other parts. I promise you though, trust your students and try this out and you will never look back!

1 comment:

  1. I just ordered both of those books today! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete