Sunday, July 31, 2011

Setting Goals

As a teacher I feel setting goals is imperative to be successful. As a person I set goals for myself all the time. Some I reach and many that I don't. This year I set the goal to lose 20 pounds. I am half way there but it hasn't been something quick and easy and I am amazed I have stayed focused but the results make me feel good so I am sticking with it! Sorry I digressed, back to school goals! Goals are a way to keep your mind working towards something while also rewarding yourself for the success of reaching the goal. Or how to reflect on yourself in a subjective way if you don't meet the goal. I think as a teacher if I don't set goals for myself how can I expect my students to set goals for themselves.

So this year I am going to break it down for my students and really get them reflecting on individual subjects. I want them to really think about their strengths and weaknesses in order to better themselves. I feel that teaching has become so mundane and robot like. We are given a curriculum and expected to teach it and students are expected to master each part. Where is the relevance and the attachment to what they are learning. When you remember how to do something it is because it impacted you in way that changed how you did something or created a time in which you were successful or unsuccessful. Setting goals can do that for our students because it makes them have a purpose for learning the skills.

Once I find the page I found from another teacher I am going to adapt it and post what my final product will be. It will sit on their desk and be a reminder of what their are working towards. I want my students to succeed and I want them to want more for themselves and in order to do that we need to set goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment