Wednesday, July 13, 2011

For the Love of Teaching

I was probably 6 when I realized that I wanted to be a teacher. I know I was that young because it was before my parents divorced and we lived at our old house. We had neighbors that lived right behind us and they had a cool basement with this retro carpet that screamed 60's. We played down there all the time and it was ok if we spilled on the carpet because it was so old.

They had all kind of "school" stuff we could play with to play school. I was always the teacher/boss and my brother and the little girl that lived in the house were always the students. We had a dry erase board which made me feel so authentic. My tipping point was when I once called my dad in either fourth or fifth grade and asked him for an answer to my homework. He told me to get my social studies book out and read him the page I thought the answer was on. Then he continued to ask me questions about what I had read and if I still thought the answer was there. I was getting really frustrated that he wouldn't tell me the answer. After about thirty minutes I found the answer. He asked me how I felt and told him I was super proud of myself for finding the answer. That was the moment where I wanted to become like my dad and help kids find the answer; not give it to them.

I am entering my 6th year of teaching which is bittersweet for me. I am excited because as everyone said, it gets easier each year! I feel more and more confident as well as excited about the new school year. I told my school secretary last week that I look forward each year to the letter we get in the mail that lists all the new staff members and the schedule for the first few weeks of school! She told me I was probably the only one. :)

My fifth grade teacher helped me begin paving the way to become the person I am today. She was strict and expected almost perfection. She was a woman of few words but I always felt that she wanted the best for us. She worked hard to teach us and it showed through he comments on our papers or just the nod of her head.

As a fifth grade teacher I hope to inspire my students and encourage them to dream big. I want them to feel excited about learning and eager to explore the world around them. I want to foster their curiosity while holding them to high expectations. I want them to leave fifth grade exhausted from all the learning but fired up to become the best person they can become.

I love to read blogs and after finding Pinterest.com I have been introduced into the world of teacher blogs. Wow! I could spend hours reading peoples blogs and all the amazing ideas they have. Sharing ideas is where the best teaching comes from. I never even thought about sharing things that I have created because I didn't think of them as being ideas worth sharing. The more I read other blogs I realize that even though they may not be mindblowing ideas, people can adapt them to fit their classroom and be the best teachers possible! I hope through this blog you will be inspired to teach all students and become the best teachers possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment